What to do right away
Did someone steal and use your personal information? Act quickly to limit the damage.
- Contact your financial institution or credit card issuer immediately.
- Contact one of the three credit reporting agencies and place an Initial Fraud Alert.
- Get copies of your credit reports and examine them carefully; dispute any errors with the credit reporting company.
- Report to Federal Trade Commission and obtain an Identity Theft Affidavit.
- File a police report and show your FTC Affidavit.
- Close any new accounts that you didn’t open.
- Call Social Security Administration.
- Keep detailed records of communications with creditors, credit bureaus, etc.
- Contact the IRS.
Here is a more comprehensive list of steps that you can take in the case of Identity Theft.