Debit and Credit Card Safety
In today’s world of endless fraud schemes, it’s essential to keep safety top of mind in order to secure your financial health. Know how to defend yourself and rest assured Truity is continually monitoring for threats and suspicious activity.
Credit and debit card fraud involves the unauthorized use of another person’s card information to make purchases from their account or access their funds. Card fraud occurs through a variety of channels, including online scams, data breaches and card or mail theft.
According to cardrates.com and a 2020 Federal Trade Commission report, credit card fraud is the most common type of identity theft. Even amid our current global pandemic, the dollar amount of attempted fraudulent transactions rose 35% in April 2020 . Card safety is more important than ever before.
We have you covered
At Truity, safety and our member’s financial well-being is our top priority. Below are ways we are working to keep you safe:
- EMV Chip Technology: All of our cards now feature an embedded chip that improves security when you make purchases at a chip-activated terminal. This tiny chip protects you from fraud by creating a unique code for each transaction. Learn more
- Fraud Protection: You can rest easy and shop worry-free knowing you are covered with Visa’s Zero Liability Policy. The $0 Liability Guarantee covers fraudulent charges made by others using your account. To be covered, don’t share personal or account information with anyone and report any suspicious activity to us immediately.
- Credit and Debit Card Alerts: Choose to receive text or email alerts that let you know when specific transaction types occur (gas stations, online, international,etc.), as well as to let you know when a payment is due, you’re approaching your credit limit or over your limit, and when your contact information has changed. Steps to set up alerts.
- Identity Theft Recovery Services/Dark Web Monitoring: You can add an extra layer of protection with identity theft recovery services and dark web monitoring, both included with our new Preferred or Advantage checking accounts. Our dark web monitoring service allows you to enter in your specific card numbers, tracking for unauthorized uses.
What you can do
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Keep contact information up to date, especially your mobile number, so we can contact you if fraud happens.
- Add alerts to your account.
- Create a private word for your account by calling us at 800.897.6991. When conducting business by phone or in a branch, your private code word ensures we’re doing business with you and only you.
- Check your transactions frequently and make sure to review the total dollar amount before signing transaction receipts.
- Keep safe online and remain vigilant when using public computers. Check for a padlock symbol and “https” in your browser’s address bar when submitting payment and other personal details. Don’t allow your browser to “Save Your Password” while shopping online or accessing your account online.
- Protect personal information by shredding or destroying card receipt, bank statements, tax returns and other identifying documents before discarding them. Don’t give out your card number over the phone unless you initiate the call and know the firm is reputable, also keep your PINs and other passwords in secure locations.
- If you are planning to travel internationally, let us know by calling 1.800.897.6991 or send us a secure message in digital banking. We want to optimize your account for travel.
Truity Credit Union is here for you. Contact us with any questions regarding your account and learn more about card safety here.