What To Do If You Suspect Unemployment Fraud
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, unemployment claims are skyrocketing as businesses have been forced to lay off or furlough employees. Unfortunately, scammers are trying to profit from this situation, especially in Oklahoma. As of May 12, 2020, the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office is investigating 4,200 unemployment fraud complaints. We’ve put together steps on what you can do if you suspect this type of fraud has been committed under your name.
What am I looking for?
Victims of unemployment fraud have received troubling letters (IE- Wage Review forms) from the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission. These can be mailed directly to their home address or received through the human resources office at their place of work. Some victims have also received unemployment payment cards in their name (that look like a debit or credit card).
What should I do next?
- Alert your employer(s) immediately.
- For faster service, fill out the new OESC form online. You can also call the OESC fraud department at 405.525.1500 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your local police department to determine if you should file a fraud report.
- Fill out an Oklahoma Unemployment Fraud Form with the Oklahoma Attorney General’s office.
- Next, contact the three major credit bureaus, Experian, Transunion and Equifax, since the breach involves social security numbers, birth dates and other personal information. If you are not planning to make a major purchase in the next 6 months, consider putting a freeze on your credit to further protect your identity and financial health.
- Contact Truity, or your home banking institution, to let them know.
How can Truity help?
If you have Identity Checking with us, you have coverage to help during this time. Call us to file an identity theft claim. We will put you in touch with industry experts who will contact the credit bureaus on your behalf and support protecting your identity moving forward. Don’t have Identity Checking? We make it easy to switch! Contact us, we want to help.